Small Business Valuation
Why take this course?
This is a 3.5 hour course designed for real estate agents to improve their understanding of how small businesses are valued and marketed. Given the change in the small business environment in the United States, agents need to be aware of the factors their clients may face when selling a business. The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice guidelines for business valuation will be discussed, along with optimal times to list a business for sale.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the technical definition of a “small business”.
- Evaluate data in common business documents such as a pro forma operating statement and profit and loss sheet.
- Identify the differences between the three types of business valuation approaches.
- Recognize potential red flags in the sale or purchase of a small business.
- Identify tactics to boost a small business’ value