Why take this course?
Liz Bradbury, Director of the Training Institute of the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center and a national expert on LGBTQ issues, will present a seminar on how to promote outreach and engagement and to avoid unintentional barriers when working with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender community.
The seminar will explain that professionalism may require understanding that “just treating everyone the same” often does not meet the needs of the LGBTQ community and may lose you the deal.
The training uses a dynamic and interactive slide presentation that will include:
- Current definitions and explanations of essential language that describe and engage the LGBTQ population.
- Language to avoid and why.
- How to ask about pronouns, how to address legally married same-gender couples, and why some terms that are frequently used may be considered hate language.
- What is the most easily avoidable but potentially tragic situation for older same-gender couples.
- The latest federal, state, and municipal housing and non-discrimination laws, policies, professional requirements, executive orders, court cases, and best practices.
- Proven strategies that enhance outreach.
- How to make your office LGBTQ friendly at no cost.